The NAME Program
We offer a Bachelor of Science in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, a Master of Science in Engineering with a concentration in NAME, and a Ph.D in Engineering and Applied Science. Our graduates routinely find positions well before they graduate in a wide range of incredible enterprises including ship and yacht builders, offshore companies, engineering and design consultants, software developers, and any enterprise where systems engineering is needed.
The School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is located in a modern, state-of-the-art, nine-story engineering building that houses specialized laboratory facilities that include:
- A 128 ft. long towing tank with a 15 ft. x 7 ft. cross section for model tests of 8 to 12 ft. long models of ships and offshore structures in calm water and in waves, as well as in shallow water with current.
- A model shop for projects and for towing tank model and experiment manufacture.
- The UNO Structural Test System, a 20 ft. x 20 ft. wide and 10 ft. high space frame with computer-controlled hydraulic actuators for testing aluminum, steel, and composite ship structural components.
- A computer-aided ship design laboratory with an array of software packages for marine design and analysis.
- A Linux high-performance computing cluster: a modern 82-processor parallel computer for numerical analysis and simulation.
- A marine engineering laboratory with programs on ship safety, operations, reliability, maintenance, and performance simulation of propulsion systems.