Graduate School Admission Requirements
Minimum Academic Credentials
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or a 4-year degree equivalent from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad.
- Applicants enrolled in the final year of a bachelor's degree or international equivalent will be considered for conditional admission.
Minimum GPA Requirements
- 2.5 grade point average (GPA) on a 4-point scale for all undergraduate coursework
- 3.0 grade point average (GPA) on a 4-point scale for all graduate coursework
Entrance Test Score Requirements
GRE and GMAT are not required for applicants to the M.F.A. program in Creative Writing, the M.F.A. program in Film & Theatre Arts, the M.F.A. program in Fine Arts, the M.M. program in Music, the M.A. program in English, the M.A. program in History, the M.S. program in Chemistry, and the M.S. program in Hospitality & Tourism Management. GRE or GMAT may be waived for students entering Master’s programs upon receipt of a transcript for a prior graduate degree (including J.D.,M.D.)
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
Most graduate programs require official scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores are considered official if reported electronically to UNO by ETS. The institution code for reporting GRE scores to UNO is 6379. Only scores for tests taken within 5 years prior to the entrance term are considered valid.
Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
For programs in the College of Business Administration, scores on the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) are accepted. Scores are considered official if reported electronically to UNO by GMAC. Only scores for tests taken within 5 years prior to the entrance term are considered valid.
English Proficiency Requirements for International Students
Applicants who have completed their education in a country not recognized as English-dominant are required to provide proof of English proficiency. Examples of English-dominant countries are: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U.K. (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales), U.S.A..
The following are measures of English proficiency currently accepted by the Graduate School. Only scores for tests taken within 2 years prior to the entrance term are considered valid.
Test of English as a Foreign Language
Internet-based test score of 79 total or Computer-based test score of 550.
Scores are considered official if reported electronically to UNO by ETS. The institution code for reporting TOEFL scores to UNO is 6379.
The International English Language Testing System
Overall band score of 6.5
Pearson Tests of English
Academic score of 58
Intensive English Language Program
Satisfactory completion of the Intensive English Language Program at UNO
Minimum Scores on IELP Test:
Listening Comprehension: 70
1) Official Transcripts from each institution attended. International transcripts need to be evaluated by one of the NACES Evaluation Agencies.
All transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions.
2) Many of our programs also require items such as a Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendation, etc.