Creating Sustainable Systems
As a designated U.S. Department of Transportation University Transportation Center, UNOTI’s faculty, staff and students are leaders in creating a sustainable transportation system, including all modes of passenger and freight transportation.
What We Offer
UNOTI offers research, professional outreach and education programs. Students can pursue transportation studies through a variety of degree programs including our innovative Master of Science in Transportation professional program, as well as an interdisciplinary Ph.D., an accredited Master of Urban and Regional Planning, or a Master of Urban Studies within our affiliated Department of Planning and Urban Studies (PLUS). Undergraduate offerings in PLUS also include a Bachelor of Urban Studies.
Our core expertise includes policy for sustainable, resilient and safe transport systems, specifically relating to maritime and port planning, transit planning, walking, bicycling and transit oriented development. UNOTI has played an instrumental role in the recovery of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
Who We Are
We are leading contributors to local, regional, national and international sponsored research projects and our faculty and staff serve on many professional boards and organizations, including the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
Faculty and staff associated with the Institute are recognized for their expertise in:
- Transportation Policy for Sustainability, Livability, Resiliency and Disaster Recovery
- Evacuation Planning for Carless and Vulnerable Populations
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning and Safety
- Transit Oriented Development
- Megaregion Research and Development
- Maritime and Port Planning
- Globalization Planning and Policy
- Public Transit Planning
- Project Financing and Implementation Strategies
- Freight-based Economic Development