At UNO since 1987 Dr. Speyrer has served on the faculty of Tulane University and on the staff of the Office of Tax Analysis at the U.S. Treasury Department, where she participated in the development and evaluation of tax policy. Dr. Speyrer has published several articles in the areas of urban economics and public finance in nationally recognized journals such as the Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, the Cato Journal, the National Tax Journal and Journal of Post-Keynesian Economics. Working with the staff of the Division of Business and Economic Research, she developed a sophisticated forecasting model for the New Orleans metropolitan area. Dr. Speyrer has worked with community and local government leaders, researching a variety of local concerns, including affordable housing, economic development, neighborhood revitalization, gaming impacts.
- Urban Economics
- Public Finance
- New Orleans Economy
- Policy Analysis
- Gambling Research
Professor of Economics, August 1998-present University of New Orleans Associate Professor of Economics, August 1992-August 1998 University of New Orleans Assistant Professor of Economics, August 1987-August 1992 University of New Orleans Adjunct Assistant Professor of Economic Analysis, January-May 1987 A. B. Freeman School of Business, Tulane University Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, August-December 1986 Tulane University Assistant Professor of Economics, August 1980-January 1984 Tulane University Fellow, 1980-83 Murphy Institute of Political Economy, Tulane University Junior Instructor and Teaching Assistant, 1977-79 Department of Political Economy, The Johns Hopkins University Other Professional Director, January 1995-present Division of Business and Economic Research, University of New Orleans Associate Director, August 1989-December 1994 Division of Business and Economic Research, University of New Orleans Economist, Summer 1987 Joint Committee on Taxation, U.S. House of Representatives Financial Economist, January 1984-August 1986 Office of Tax Analysis, U.S. Department of the Treasury Research Assistant, 1979-80 Department of Political Economy, The Johns Hopkins University Research Associate, Summer 1979 Urban Institute, Housing Division, Washington, D.C. Research Assistant, 1977-78 (for Charles Hulten) under contract with the Office of Tax Analysis, U.S. Department of the Treasury
April 1999, Gambling in Louisiana: A Benefit/Cost Analysis, with Timothy P. Ryan, et al., 338 pages, plus statistical appendices. February 1997, The Effects of Land-Based and Riverboat Gaming in New Orleans, with Timothy P. Ryan, et al., 5-volume set, 488 pages. Refereed/Invited Publications
- Dimanche, Frederic and Speyrer, Janet F., "Report on a Comprehensive Five-Year Gambling Impact Research Plan in New Orleans," Journal of Travel Research, Vol. XXXIV, No. 3, pp. 97-100 (Winter 1996). (4 pages)
- Harmelink, Philip J. and Speyrer, Janet Furman, "Social Security: Rates of Return and the Fairness of Benefits," The CATO Journal, Volume 14, No. 1, pp. 37-54 (Spring/Summer 1994). (18 pages)
- Harmelink, Philip J. and Speyrer, Janet Furman, "An Evaluation of Alternative Methods of Taxing Social Security Benefits," Journal of Post-Keynesian Economics, Volume 15, No. 1, pp. 3-30 (Fall 1992). (28 pages)
- Speyrer, Janet Furman and Ragas, Wade R., "Housing Prices and Flood Risk: An Examination Using Spline Regression," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Volume 4, No. 4, pp. 395-407 (1991). (12 pages)
- Speyrer, Janet Furman, "The Effect of Land-Use Restrictions on Market Values of Single-Family Homes in Houston," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Volume 2, No. 2, pp. 117-130 (1989). (14 pages)
- Brashares, Edith; Janet Furman Speyrer; and George N. Carlson, "Distributional Aspects of a Federal Value-Added Tax," National Tax Journal, Volume 41, No. 2, pp. 155-173 (1988). (19 pages)
Other Publications Non-refereed academic journal articles
- "Indexing Federal Tax Provisions: An Analysis of Unresolved Issues," (with P. Harmelink and P. Copeland) Tax Notes, Volume 73, No. 6, pp. 723-730 (1996).
- "Social Security Tax Changes for the Self-Employed: Equity Concerns," (with P. Harmelink), Tax Notes, Volume 46, No. 9, pp. 1063-5 (1990).
- Metropolitan Report: Economic Indicators for the New Orleans Area (with T. Ryan, V. Maruggi and P. Connor) September 1989-present (quarterly) 43 issues.
- "The Impact of Casino Gambling in New Orleans," Coastal Zone Impacts of the Dockside Casino Industry: The Mississippi Experience. Proceedings of a conference in Biloxi, MS,May 7-8, 1996, pp. 18-20. (published April 1997).
- "Increased Taxation of Social Security Benefits: A Step Toward More Equitable Treatment or Simply a Tax Hike?," Louisiana Business Survey, Spring 1993, Volume 24, No. 1, pp. 2-3.
- "Cost of Living: Metropolitan New Orleans," Louisiana Business Survey, Fall 1990, Volume 21, No. 2, pp. 10-12.
- "Retail Trade Figures: New Orleans Metropolitan Area," Louisiana Business Survey, Fall 1989, pp. 10-12.
- "New Price Information: New Orleans Metropolitan Area," (with V. Maruggi) in Metropolitan Report: Economic Indicators for the New Orleans Area, September 1989, pp. 8-9.
- "Retail Trade Figures: New Orleans Metropolitan Area," in Metropolitan Report: Economic Indicators for the New Orleans Area, December 1989, pp. 8-9. AWARDS, LECTURESHIPS, OR PRIZES
- Named Professor of the Year, College of Business, May 1999.
- Johns Hopkins University Fellowship, 1976-80
- Johns Hopkins Alumni Association Fellowship, 1977-78