Generously funded in part by the Tolmas Charitable Trust.
PURSUE 2019 (Privateer Undergraduate Research and Scholarly UNO Experience)
CoSURP 2019 (College of Sciences Undergraduate Research Program)
Applications are now being accepted for the Tolmas Scholars program, which includes the Center for Undergraduate Research and Creativity’s PURSUE (Privateer Undergraduate Research and Scholarly UNO Experience) program and CoSURP (College of Sciences Undergraduate Research Program) .
Goals of PURSUE and CoSURP
1. Introduce all UNO undergraduate students to research/creative inquiry: the search and discovery of new information through creative and scholarly works.
2. Provide the mechanisms for students to find faculty mentors.
- 75 anticipated awards starting spring 2019 in the form of student worker positions
- PURSUE awards allow up to 100 paid hours of scholarly work starting in the spring 2019 semester.
- CoSURP awards allow up to 100 paid hours of scholarly work for spring 2019 and another 100 hours in fall 2019.
- Both programs pay $15/hr with a maximum of 10 hour per week.
- Students are expected to participate in InnovateUNO in the Fall 2019 semester.Click here for details.
How To Apply
- Review the Eligibility Requirements listed below to ensure that you are eligible to apply.
- Review the list of mentors.
- Complete and submit an online Student Submission Form Click here to access the live form.
- A single application initiates consideration for both programs. However, only science majors are eligible for a CoSURP award. Only one award will be made per student.
- All recipients will receive the title of Tolmas Scholar.
|Friday, August 17, 2018||Student Submissions open|
|Friday, September 14, 2018||Submissions close (11:59 pm CST)|
|Announcement of Winners made||end of Fall term|
|Award period||January 2, 2019 - December 31, 2019|
- All currently enrolled UNO degree-seeking undergraduate students in all academic disciplines are eligible.
- Domestic and international students are eligible
- Students must identify a UNO faculty research mentor on the submission form.
- Minimum cumulative GPA - 2.0 (minimum required to be hired as a student worker)
- During the semesters employed, students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours during each Fall and Spring semester and 3 hours during the summer).
- The University of New Orleans requires all domestic student employees have a current, completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form on file with the University. The student will be reviewed for Federal Work-Study prior to being hired as a Budget student employee.
- If you applied for a PURSUE or CoSURP award previously and did not receive an award, you may reapply.
- If you received a PURSUE or CoSURP award previously, you are eligible to reapply.
- Note: The award period for the upcoming year will begin January 2, 2019, so if you are graduating in December 2018, you will be ineligible.
2018 PURSUE Award Winners
|SydniCherise Austin||Juliette Ioup||Physics|
|Catalina Correa Contreras||Erik Hansen||Film Theatre Communications Art|
|Kristopher Hoffman||Hamp Overton||Film Theatre Communications Art|
|Tanee Janusz||Martin O'Connell||Earth and Environmental Sciences|
|Daniel Jones||D. Ryan Gray||Anthropology|
|Chloe Krake||Donald Zimmerman||Healthcare Management|
|Lee Lagarde||Stephen Ware||Computer Science|
|Claire Melancon||Nicola Anthony||Biological Sciences|
|Julia Robe||Mary Clancy||Biological Sciences|
|Kourtney Weaver||Wendy Schluchter||Biological Sciences|
|Shisir Acharya||Mechanical Engineering||Ting Wang|
|Kelli Allen||Elliot Beaton||Psychology|
|Joel Andrepont||Tamjidul Hoque||Computer Science|
|Alana Bradley||Chris Harshaw||Psychology|
|Prerak Chapagain||Weilie Zhou||Electrical Engineering/Mathematics|
|Jacob Frick||Wendy Schluchter||Biological Sciences|
|Srilasya Garigipaty||Malay Ghose Hajra||Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|Mina Hibino||Matthew Tarr||Chemistry|
|Jessica Lanzkowsky||Chris Harshaw||Biology/Psychology|
|Ashraya Upadhyaya||Guillermo Rincon||Civil and Environmental Engineering|