The purpose of these rules is to abide by the National Panhellenic Conference Rules and Guidelines and to address situations not specifically outlined in the University of New Orleans Panhellenic Association Bylaws. Any action or activity by any individual or chapter that in the opinion of the majority of the officers of the Panhellenic Association is contrary to the spirit and intent of those bylaws, these rules, or the University of New Orleans Panhellenic Association Code of Ethics shall be considered an infraction of such and shall be handled accordingly.
Membership Recruitment Procedures
1. Attendance at Recruitment events is limited to initiated and new members listed on the official chapter roster as submitted to the Greek Life advisor prior to the first day of Recruitment.
2. In cases where a chapter's membership numbers are low, the Panhellenic Association may grant permission for additional alumnae or collegians from other campuses to recruit potential new members. Requests for this permission must be made in writing at least 14 days prior to the first day of Recruitment. Alumnae and visiting collegians must obey all silence restrictions and other membership recruitment regulations. Alumnae and visiting collegians must wear a nametag identifying them as such throughout all rounds of recruitment or anytime when interaction with a potential new member may occur.
3. The Recruitment Silence period begins immediately following the first Open House Round and ends immediately following Preference events. No chapter member, alumna, or advisor may entertain an unaffiliated woman during this period. Contact between sorority women and potential new members shall be limited to communication necessary to convey common courtesy or to complete academic assignments (class work, group projects, etc.). This includes all types of communication, including verbal, written, printed, typed, or via web or texting.
4. Strict Silence is the period in which there will be no contact between potential members and chapter members, alumnae, or advisors. This includes all types of communication, including verbal, written, printed, typed, or via web or texting. Strict Silence will be observed between the end of a potential member's final Preference event and the time when she reports to the sorority from which she has accepted a bid.
Membership Recruitment Structure and Policies
5. By midnight of July 31, each chapter must submit a room layout of each round for approval by the Panhellenic Recruitment Coordinator. As well as the chapter’s Sisterhood Round video. Lattice work will be limited to the amount necessary to cover two walls of the chapter’s recruitment room.
6. Each chapter will attend a meeting with the recruitment chairs about their room layouts if deemed necessary. In attendance will be the Panhellenic recruitment chair, Greek advisor, and chapter recruitment chair. Chapter presidents and chapter advisor(s) have the option of attending their chapter's wish list meeting
7. Chapters may not rent items from outside vendors for use during Recruitment events. This is to include chairs, tables, tablecloths, plants, etc. All tables and chairs to be used for Recruitment events will be provided by the Panhellenic Association. A chapter may utilize temporary pedestal tables upon request and approval by the Panhellenic recruitment chair and Greek advisor.
8. Continuous Open Bidding will begin at noon Bid Day and will be continuous throughout the regular academic year while school is in session. Continuous Open Bidding ends the day final exams begin for the Spring Semester.
Recruitment Rounds and Schedule
9. Alumnae may not wear same recruitment outfits or color schemes as active chapter members.
10. All chapters may wear different shirts for sisterhood round, but the design must be submitted and approved by the recruitment coordinators.
11. 75% of each chapter must attend a mandatory Recruitment Rules review. This is to ensure all rules are completely understood and everyone is on the same page.
12. Recruitment should take place earlier in the fall semester, a weekend before Labor Day.
13. The night before the first round of recruitment, each sorority’s entire chapter will be allowed two hours to decorate/set up their recruitment room. Two alumnae or the president, or an alumna and the VP of recruitment (three people maximum), will be permitted to enter the recruitment room to set up each day two hours minutes before the entire chapter is allowed to set up. The entire chapter will then be allowed to set up Thursday and Friday at 2 o’clock, and Saturday at 10 o’clock. Each sorority will be able to leave their room assembled throughout formal recruitment. (Based upon approval by UC Staff.) Chapter members have to have their rooms ready an hour before recruitment rounds are scheduled to start. If the chapter is not ready for room checks when the Recruitment Chair comes around then there will be a $100 fine.
14. The UNO Panhellenic council shall provide each sorority with a storage space in the same building as their recruitment room during formal recruitment. (based upon availability in building per campus booking).
Finances and Budgeting
15. The Recruitment budget for each chapter shall be $600.00. Each chapter shall have the discretion to determine how the money will be allocated. A final budget will be due within one week of bid day with receipts attached.
16. The Recruitment budget shall include all items, including, but not limited to, decorations, supplies, flowers and donated items. Panhellenic strongly urges every sorority to use sound judgment, discretion, common sense, and maturity in planning and maintaining a realistic and financially sound budget during Recruitment (code of ethics).
17. Sorority Recruitment Counselors shall disaffiliate from their sororities for Recruitment. Disaffiliation shall start 30 days before recruitment and last until the end of Strict Silence. They may not participate in their own chapter's Recruitment events (other than in their capacity as representatives of Panhellenic) or in the membership selection process.They may not communicate with new members via their normal Facebook; they must make a special Facebook account for the purpose of communicating with PNMs. They may not wear or display their organization's insignia (letters, flip flops, jewelry, license plate covers, etc.) while disaffiliated. They may not attend regular chapter meetings. If the Sorority Recruitment Counselor holds a position in her own sorority, then she will be allowed to attend chairmen/e-board meetings when necessary, but is not allowed to be around for recruitment discussions. During Orientation Fests, Privateer Camp, and Transfer Retreat for Leadership, Sorority Recruitment Counselors will be required to disaffiliate from their chapter for the duration of the event.
18. Each chapter shall be responsible for removing from flyers, web sites, photo albums, etc. all references to their members who are disaffiliated. This shall be done no later than the first New Student Orientation session of the summer. Sorority Recruitment Counselors shall be responsible for removing from their profiles on facebook.com. In addition, they are responsible for placing all other social media sites to "private," concealing their affiliation. (This is including, but not limited to myspace.com, twitter, Instagram, snapchat, etc...). This shall be done no later than two days prior to the first New Student Orientation session of the summer.
19. Sorority Recruitment Counselors must have gone through formal sorority recruitment on the ‘chapter’ side before becoming a Recruitment Counselor. Recruitment Counselors must understand all sides of recruitment and its processes before becoming a recruitment counselor.
20. Each chapter that is not represented by the VP of Recruitment or the Assistant VP of Recruitment must supply two recruitment counselors.
Promotion for Recruitment
21. Each chapter will be responsible for providing a designated amount of volunteers for the marketing and promotion of Recruitment to potential members. A chapter will be fined $20.00 for each member not in attendance. If all members are not at the event when the Recruitment Chair checks attendance the members will be considered absent and the chapter will be fined.
22. Each sorority chapter must provide a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of five (5) girls at each spring and summer orientation fest to promote sorority recruitment. Attendance at Open Houses (Get2KnowUNO and Explore UNO) is mandatory as well. A Panhellenic flyer may be given to potential new members at these events provided by Panhellenic. No sorority women are to promote their own chapter directly but must promote Greek life and sorority recruitment as a whole. Table decorations such as informational pieces are allowed for each sorority
23. In accordance with the NPC Unanimous Agreements regarding penalties for infractions, the following penalties shall be in place for measurable infractions:
a. Each 0-15 minutes lists/invitations are entered late into ICS – $75.00 fine
b. Late room layout - $75.00
c. Each chapter member whose Social Media profiles are not set to private– Under Panhellenic’s discretion, said member will put on a program.
d. Each minor item (favor, note, gift, or souvenir) given to a potential member outside of the guidelines established in rule #2 – $75.00 fine
e. Each item with sorority insignia (new member pin, badge, etc.) removed from a Recruitment event by a potential member – $100.00 fine
f. Each instance of a Sorority Recruitment Counselor shown in a picture, video, slide show, web site, etc. once disaffiliation begins – $100.00 fine
g. Break in silence of any form from chapter members, Sorority Recruitment Counselors, or anyone recruiting from any chapter – $100.00. If the break in silence occurs during the nights of Recruitment the fine will be doubled.
h. A violation of the Sorority Recruitment Counselor and Sorority Member Decorum and Behavior in rule #23 and 30 - $100.00 fine
i. Each missing member from the 75% attendance at Recruitment Rules meeting in rule #11 - $20.00 fine per missing member
j. Each chapter that falsely claims That a “malfunction” occurred with recruitment/ICS-$50.00
k. Any fraternity shirt worn during fraternity recruitment week-$10.00
l. Each chapter has two weeks to pay their infraction from the day that they are notified by email by the recruitment chair.
m. For every day past a deadline that a payment in late there will be a $20 fine.
n. If a chapter has more than 3 infractions non-related to social media, they will be ineligible for Greek Awards.
27. Any chapter that receives three penalties for infractions listed in rule #23 (excluding 23a) will lose their eligibility to win awards from the university for the remainder of the academic year. The Panhellenic Judicial Committee will also have the authority to assign this penalty for other infractions if they deem it appropriate.
Dorm Storm: 3-5 members
Greek 101: NO CHAPTER MEMBERS
Letters in the Amp/UC: 5 members for the entire time
Luau: Entire Chapter
Fresh Fest: 5 members for the entire time
Late Night: Entire Chapter
Orientation Fests: 2 members
Move In Day: Entire Chapter
Move In Day Cookout: 3-5 members