The Bursar is responsible for managing four functional areas: Depository, Accounts Receivable, Third Party Billing and Fiscal Operations, and supervises a staff of 8 classified/unclassified professionals with specific duties as outlined below:
The primary Bursar task at the University of New Orleans is the receiving, safekeeping and depositing of all University funds. For this function, the Bursar will manage an office staff of one administrative professionals and two classified employees who are responsible for cashiering, customer service and student refunds.
· Overall responsibility for the depository function which is administered through the Oracle PeopleSoft Student Financials Module (PSSFM), as well as, system upgrades and internal semester changes. The PSSFM records all funds received from departmental units and student transactions associated with account receivables generated from student tuition and fees, third party billing, scholarship/fee exemption transfers and student excess credit refunds, and feeds that information nightly to the General Ledger.
· Responsible for coordination of all aspects of centralized fee payment between the Bursar Office and the Registrar’s Office, Office of Admissions, Student Financial Aid, Office of International Students and Auxiliary Services (housing, meal plan). This will include control over the collection and deposit of receipts, recording of receivables, exemptions, and safeguarding of the funds.
· Manage student outreach programs in order to assist students with registration and financial issues and counseling support as needed through interfacing with university college offices and departmental units
The Bursar position is responsible for the Accounts Receivable function. Under this function, the Bursar will have supervision over one administrative professional, and one classified employees. Duties include:
· Overall responsibility for maintaining and updating the Oracle PeopleSoft Receivables Module for accounting information for each accounts receivable transaction (commercial billings for departments, including salary and benefits recovery), and feeding that information daily to the General Ledger.
· Oversee collection efforts for 1) Commercial Account Receivables (COMAR); 2) delinquent Student Receivables; and 3) Student Loan Program (Perkins). Insure timely submission of the Quarterly State Report for Accounts Receivable and Debt Activity. Monitor outside collection agency contract with the Louisiana Attorney General’s Office.
· Process and collect receivables associated with departing employee clearances in accordance with AP 2.09. Coordinate timely responses from departments responsible for approving the Clearance form.
THIRD PARTY BILLING
The third function for which the Bursar is responsible is the Third Party Billing. Under this function, the Bursar will have supervision over one administrative professional. Duties include:
· Responsible for Third Party Billing/Receivables system for over 2,000 students, with 25+ sponsors including the TOPS program for each semester. Insure credits are applied to students based on proper credential authorization and invoices are generated to sponsors. Reconcile each program to insure funding is accurate and requested timely.
· Oversee U.S Department of Education Title IV return of federal aid calculation program for students who resign during the semester. Provide Student Financial Aid with timely reporting to allow for changes to federal aid awarded to students.
· Oversee refund/billing process for students with an a-typical withdrawal from the semester, prompting manual calculations and/or modifications to the fee bill statements. Insure students are manually assessed fees for deferment plans and delinquent accounts.
The Bursar position is also responsible for the fiscal operation. Under this function, the Bursar will have supervision over one administrative professional. The responsibilities include:
· Supervise the preparation of the daily cash receipts summarization voucher (CRV) and entry into the accounting records. Insure proper internal controls are observed and documentation is accurate.
· Monitor Vault operations which include fiduciary responsibility for University Petty Cash fund, safekeeping of deposits awaiting transfer to bank via Armored Car and vault storage of important documents.
· Monitor item types under the PSSFM for tuition, fees, scholarships, payments, etc. categories, in order to eliminate/minimize GL journal generation problems. Reconcile various General Ledger liability accounts in order to identify student transactions. Assist General Accounting with reconciling items, such as: credit card charge-backs, bank deposit adjustments, ACH wire payments/charge-backs, etc.
· Participate in the on-going development of university systems as it relates to the Bursar area.
The Bursar periodically works with various audit staffs from the U.S. Department of Education, Board of Regents, Legislative Auditors, University of Louisiana System Auditors and UNO Internal Auditor by reviewing the four functional areas under his supervision for overall internal controls and procedures to insure compliance with Policies and Procedures. Insure security rules are followed and that service and courtesy is extended in dealing with members of the University community, students and public through proper training. Assisting the Bursar is an Administrative Assistant. Bursar will participate in other activities as deemed necessary by the Vice President for Business Affairs.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related business discipline and a minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible accounting work experience, three (3) years of which must include management responsibility with supervision of staff. Working knowledge of and experience with accounting systems and spreadsheet applications. Good verbal/written communication skills. Ability to work effectively under pressure and with others.
Master’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration. Experience with Workday. Experience in a university setting.
Position will remain open until filled.