Top 10 Travel Paperwork Mistakes
How to avoid Common Mistakes with Travel Reimbursement Paperwork?
- All receipts must be original. Travelers often attach copies of receipts to the travel voucher. Original receipts are required. Authorization to Travel Form if you made any special requests
- Both the Short's Travel Management receipt and the Itinerary must be attached. Travelers who fly sometimes forget to attach either their receipt (shows invoice number and details of ticket price) or their itinerary (flight dates and times) to the travel voucher. Both documents must be attached.All receipts must be original. Travelers often attach copies of receipts to the travel voucher. Original receipts are required. Authorization to Travel Form if you made any special requests.
- When you drive your own car, you must document the miles you drive in order to be reimbursed for mileage. You can submit beginning and ending odometer readings or a printout from any website mileage calculator such as www.mapquest.com.
- A) Conference attendees must get an itemized paid receipt for their registration. B) If a conference attendee claims the conference lodging rate, that traveler must attach a document to the travel voucher that shows that he or she stayed in the official conference hotel or the conference overflow hotel.
- All special travel requests must be made on the Authorization to Travel Form before you travel. In order to rent a car, travel internationally, or request high cost reimbursement for meals or lodging, you must formally request these items on the Authorization to Travel Form.
- Travelers can only claim meal reimbursements while they are in travel status - to claim breakfast, travel must start at or before 6 am and to claim dinner, travel must end after 8 PM. Click here for complete meal reimbursement rules.
- The forms must be complete. Do not forget to enter an account number (a speed type #) and get all the necessary signatures.
- The hotel receipt you attach to the travel voucher must be itemized: it must show the room rate and the taxes separately.
- If you enter any amounts in the miscellaneous charges box on the Travel Voucher, you must briefly describe those expenditures in the explanation box at the bottom of the form or attach a separate sheet if necessary. Miscellaneous charges could include: telephone use charges (specify business or personal), types of tips, additional drivers, etc.
- The rental car receipt you attach to the Travel Voucher must be the closeout document.