MPA Degree Requirements
How long will it take me to complete the MPA degree?
The program consists of 42 hours (14 courses). There are nine required courses (27 hours); and three elective courses (9 hours). Full time students take three classes a semester (fall and spring). The program can be completed in two and a half years with continuous full-time enrollment. If a student elects to enroll part-time, the program can be completed in three to four years, depending upon how many courses are taken per semester and whether the student takes classes in the summer.
- Economics – Micro or Macro (3 hrs)
- Political Science or American Government (3 hrs)
- Unmet prerequisites should be made up early in the program.
- 42 total hours needed to complete the degree (excluding deficiencies or prerequisites)
- 27 hours of required courses
- 9 hours of electives
- 6 hours of thesis research and a thesis, or 6 hours of capstone courses and a final project. All masters students must include at least 15 hours of courses numbered 6000 or above in their programs of study.
|PADM 6001||Research Methods in Public Administration|
|PADM 6010||The Profession of Public Administration|
|POLI 5170||The Politics of Public Policy|
|PADM 6110||Public Budgeting|
|PADM 6160||Law and Ethics in Public Administration|
|URBN 6165||Urban Public Policy Analysis|
|AADM 6221||Grant Writing|
|PADM 6410||Technology in Public Organizations|
|PADM 6201||Policy Analysis and Program Evaluation|
This is an applied project completed in conjunction with a public service job or internship while enrolled in PADM 6901 and 6902 MPA Capstone I & II (3 hrs each).
Joint Juris Doctorate Degree
We offer a joint JD (law degree) with the School of Law at Loyola University New Orleans.
The MPA program offers specializations in Nonprofit leadership (NPL), Hazard Policy, and Transportation Administration.