Audition and Application Information
Performance Undergraduate and Graduate Requirements
All applicants to the Performance program must successfully audition and be accepted by the department as well as be accepted into the University of New Orleans. Please read these instructions carefully. If you need additional information please contact the faculty coordinator for your performance area.
There are two components to your application:
Part 1: Performance Application Form
Please download the Performance Audition Application Form. Fill it out and save it as a .pdf file. Include your name in the title. Include the .pdf file as an attachment when you email your audition material or print it out and bring to your in-person audition.
Download: Performance Application Form
Students may audition online or in person. Online auditions are strongly encouraged as they both allow us to assess your best work and eliminate the need for you to travel to campus.
Option A: Online Auditions
Online auditions may be submitted at any time, but as noted earlier, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit materials well before UNO's deadlines.
Charles Taylor, D.M.A.
Robin Williams, D.M.A.
The Department of Music accepts students in accordance with requirements from the Office of Admissions. Applications may be submitted at any time, but the department strongly encourages applicants to submit their materials well before the university deadlines.
Please adhere to the following guidelines when preparing the audition video:
1. You may use any video recorder as long as the audio is of respectable quality. Avoid distracting background noises.
2. See Audition Contents for details about what to include.
3. State your name clearly at the beginning of each recording.
4. Place your best performance first on the recording.
5. After recording, upload your videos to YouTube or similar platform. Include your name, the composer and the title of the work in the YouTube title, e.g., "Harry Granger, Dvorak, Serenade in D Minor."
6. Send an email to BOTH firstname.lastname@example.org and the faculty coordinator for your area (either Dr. Taylor or Dr. Williams) containing the following:
- the links to your videos
- your completed Performance Audition Application Form (attached as a .pdf)
In the header include the words "AUDITION SUBMISSION" and your name, e.g., "AUDITION SUBMISSION Granger."
Instrumental: Dr. Charles Taylor | Email: email@example.com
Piano/Keyboard/Voice: Dr. Robin Williams | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Option B: In-person Auditions
In-person auditions must be scheduled with the faculty coordinator of your area via telephone or email.
In-person auditions follow traditional protocols:
- Arrive early and check in at the Music office – PAC 331 or with the faculty coordinator if pre-arranged. We will direct you to a warm-up space.
- Bring all needed materials. The department will provide pianos and standard percussion instruments (timpani, marimba/xylophone/vibraphone, and snare drum).
- You will be asked to perform the same music as you would for an online audition; see "Audition Contents."
Audition content is different for undergraduates and graduates pursuing instrumental, piano/keyboard, and voice. You will need to refer to the respective audition content pages whether you choose to audition online or in-person.