UNO’s choral ensembles include the Privateer Chorus and the University Chorale. Both perform a wide variety of choral genres, and offer a strong, bonded group of friends within the larger UNO community. UNO choirs have performed with the New Orleans Civic Symphony, members of the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, the UNO Wind Ensemble, the Loyola University Orchestra, and prominent guest artists, as well as the choirs from other area institutions such as Tulane, Dillard, and Xavier Universities, the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, The Jefferson Chorale, and the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts.
The choirs exhibit a fine spirit of collaboration and have combined in concert with Tulane, Dillard, Xavier, and Loyola universities as well as the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, Ben Franklin High School, The Jefferson Chorale, and NOCCA (New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts) in the past five years. The UNO Chorale was the featured college choir for the State American Choral Directors Association convention (ACDA) in Baton Rouge in 2010 and a featured collegiate choir with Music Educators National Conference state convention in Baton Rouge in 2009.
The Privateer Chorus sings a variety of choral music and participates in two concerts each semester. The Privateer Chorus does not require an audition, and is open to any and all students, faculty, and staff at UNO who wish to make music. The ensemble meets MWF from 11-12:15.
The UNO Chorale is UNO’s premiere choral ensemble, and is open by audition. This auditioned choir performs a variety of literature both sacred and secular.
The chorale rehearses two days a week in sectional and combined rehearsal configurations, MW from 2-3:45. Please contact the department at 504-280-6381 for audition information.
UNO Gospel Choir
MUS 2001-003 / 4001-003
Directed by Dr. Caroline Carson and open to all singers without audition, this choir meets T/Th from 12:30-1:20.
Contact info: email@example.com
Below is a list of links and resources that we encourage you to check out and peruse at your leisure.
- ACDA – American Choral Directors Association
- LA-ACDA – Louisiana Chapter of ACDA
- Associated Male Choruses of America
- Association of Canadian Choral Conductors
- Australian National Choral Association
- Barbershop Harmony Society
- British Association of Barbershop Singers
- Choir Contact International
- British Choirs on the Net
- Choristers Guild
- Chorus America
- Complaints Choirs of the World
- Conductors Guild
- Contemporary A Cappella Society of America
- CPDL – Choral Public Domain Library
- Europa Cantat - European Federation of Young Choirs
- FASOLA - Sacred Harp Shaped Note Singing
- IFCM International Federation for Choral Music
- GALA Choruses
- MENC – Music Educators National Conference / Nat’l Assoc for Music Education
- National Collegiate Choral Association - NCCO
- Pueri Cantores - Int'l Association for Boys Choirs
- Singer Network
- Singing Stoughton - the Earliest and Oldest American Choral Society
- Sweet Adelines International
- Zamir Choral Foundation - Jewish Choral Foundation