In addition to the requirements of the Graduate School, the following must be met:
- The CWL M.F.A degree requires 45 hours of English courses. These courses can be completed 100% online.
- A total of 18 hours of creative writing workshops at the 6000 level to be divided as follows: Twelve hours in the thesis genre, 3 hours in any genre and 3 hours outside the genre. For all but those whose thesis genre is nonfiction, ENGL 6174/6194 (nonfiction workshop), which is a Core Course, can serve as a student's workshop outside their genre.
- Core Courses: CWL students must take 3 hours of a craft class in their genre and 3 hours in nonfiction writing (ENGL 6174 or 6194). Students whose thesis genre is nonfiction will substitute a sixth workshop outside of their thesis genre.
- CWL students will also take 9 hours of background courses: Fiction and poetry students must meet this through a literature class of their genre.
- Students must earn a grade of B or better in all required coursework.
- 9 hours of approved electives are required. Electives are expected to conform to a cohesive program of study. Students must maintain an overall 3.0 GPA in elective courses.
- Students must defend a creative thesis for which they may receive 6 hours of preparation credit. The creative writing thesis will be prepared under the supervision of a committee approved by the dean of the Graduate School. This committee will ordinarily consist of three members of the graduate faculties of the departments of Film & Theatre and English.
- Students must also take a comprehensive exam in their respective genres. The exam will be prepared, administered, and graded by the thesis committee. It will concern itself with the literature of the student's genre area.
Who may apply to the Program: Applicants must have an undergraduate degree to be accepted into our program. Students who hold master's degrees from other institutions or from other UNO programs may apply for admission, but upon acceptance they must meet all requirements for the M.F.A. degree listed above and must complete 36 hours of resident or low-resident work at UNO, including all 18 hours in writing workshop courses.