Alternative Certification in Educational Leadership
The Alternative Certification program in Educational Leadership prepares candidates who already hold a master’s degree (in any field) for leadership roles in PK-12 schools and leads to an Educational Leader certificate from the Louisiana Department of Education. The UNO College of Education and Human Development is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The Alternative Certification program in Educational Leadership requires completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours and focuses on the knowledge, skills, and dispositions associated with effective educational leadership of PK-12 schools.
- Performance-based: Candidates will be supported in the reseated use of competencies in different ways according to the changing demands of students and teaching environments.
- Role focused: This performance based program focuses on candidates being competent in performing the multiple roles associated with effective educational leadership.
- Sequenced field activities: Opportunity to practice targeted competencies in schools is critical to a performance-based program.
- Authentic evaluation: The UNO educational leadership program utilizes an electronic professional portfolio (Live-Text) for documenting and evaluating candidate effectiveness.
- Shared induction: The UNO educational leadership program uses a candidate assessment structure designed to assist teachers in passing the leader assessment now included in state licensure requirements.