Objectives and Outcomes
Educational Objectives of the Civil Engineering Program
The Civil Engineering Program Educational Objectives can be summarized as follows. Graduates of the Civil Engineering Program at the University of New Orleans, within a few years after graduation:
- Will meet or exceed the expectations of the employers of program graduates.
- Will attain professional advancement.
- Will serve the needs of society by working and assuming leadership roles in the related fields of civil engineering.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the UNO Civil Engineering program (upon receiving B.S. in Civil Engineering) acquire certain abilities, knowledge, and professional qualities during their education at UNO. Before graduating from the program all students must meet and demonstrate they have met the following outcomes:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- An ability to conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.