We are especially proud of the following:
- The University of New Orleans opened its doors in 1958 as the first fully integrated public university in the South.
- The University has been classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high research activity), one of fewer than 100 public universities that holds this prestigious designator.
- For six straight years, UNO has appeared on U.S. News & World Report's least debt list (schools whose graduates have the least amount of debt) among national universities.
- UNO was named one of the nation's top institutions of higher education according to The Princeton Review's annual college guide.
- We are ranked among the top 1,000 universities in the world and the top 200 in the United States, according to the Center for World University Rankings.
- UNO alumni have the highest average early-career salaries among graduates of all Louisiana universities, according to a 2016 Payscale.com report.
- UNO faculty represent a talented group of individuals with exceptional academic and professional credentials. Over 80% of full-time instructional faculty hold the doctorate or terminal degree in their field.
- Our Master's degree program in hotel, restaurant and tourism administration has a 100 percent industry-specific job placement rate over the history of the program. No other hospitality program in the nation can make that claim.
- The computer science department has certifications from the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security.
- The School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is the only one in the region and one of only several in the nation.
- The College of Liberal Arts, Education and Human Development has prepared more educational personnel in the metro New Orleans area than any other institution.
- UNO students, faculty and alumni perform on more stages at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on an annual basis than representatives from any other college or university.
- UNO's Center for Hazards Assessment, Response and Technology is the only university research center in the country that focuses on hazard mitigation.
- The Department of Planning and Urban Studies offers the only master's degree in urban planning in the state.
- UNO offers the only civil engineering, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering programs in the New Orleans area.
- Over $41 million dollars in financial aid and scholarships are awarded annually to UNO students. Financial assistance is awarded to nearly 77% of our students.
- UNO has charted a strong and exciting blue print for the future through its strategic plan - UNO 2020.
We are committed to being one of the preeminent student-responsive, urban, research universities in the United States, noted for our commitment to excellence in teaching and in student success; our location in a culturally vibrant city; our innovative and relevant undergraduate, graduate, professional and research programs; and our role as a primary engine of social, economic, intellectual and cultural development. We encourage you to learn more about the University of New Orleans by reviewing our online materials and by taking time to visit our beautiful campus and letting our outstanding students, faculty, and staff tell you about your future university.
John W. Nicklow